I suppose I should start looking at the changes I am seeing in the world around me from an explorer’s perspective, and documenting them accordingly.
I come from an alternate reality.
That is, I come from a Planet Earth that is much like yours. Looks, sounds, tastes and feels very similar.
But there are definite differences which are increasingly making themselves clear that I am not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.
This I do not doubt has to do with the experimentation with drugs I went through.
Here’s a list of the differences, both profound and subtle I have seen so far:
- In my origin reality, Macau was East of Hong Kong. I took a ferry from Hong Kong to Macau twice.
- Denmark, in my origin reality, is completely moved from where it was in my reality – it used to be on the right side of Finland, the dog ears were all Denmark – on this reality, it’s under Norway (I had a couple hour layover in Copenhagen one time, and got to know the country well). And the dog ears are Russia in this world? I haven’t dug into the historical reasons which might have shifted the location, but am now adding this to my ‘todo’ list.
- Russia appears to have expanded to twice its size in this world in contrast to my origin planet
- Moldova is roughly twice the size it was in my world. I spent about 2 months touring Romania in 2003, and Moldova was a tiny section in the Eastern region of Romania there, a country I wanted to visit to ‘add a notch to my belt’ – but finding transportation there wasn’t easy so I nicked that plan.
- Moscow used to be above and to the right of St Petersburg – I was going to go there one time, and mapped out train routes like I did for Moldova…. Moscow is nearly 600 miles south of where it was in my reality.
- Prague was on the border of Germany in my reality, here it’s in the interior (I spent 7 days there 9 years ago).
- Nizhny Novgorod also used to be just about where Moscow now is. I was at one time looking at the Russian wife thing, and that’s where a lot of them come from, I ADMIT it
- Bratislava, Slovakia was in the middle of the nation where here it’s on the west side.
- Budapest was shifted over by a couple hundred miles east.
- Dublin was well inland, in the middle of Ireland, here it’s a coastal town (WOW!) and north ireland has significantly different borders (I drove from Dublin to Letterkenny, a straight shot, and went through Belfast on my way there! Ireland also had about 1/3 more land mass to the south than it currently has.
- Orlando is shifted north by about 100 miles, in my reality it was just as far north as Tampa was….
- Guatemala has shifted about 150 miles to the north from where it was in my reality as well.
- Luxor, the entire city, had been ‘lost’ in my reality. What that means is – I received a hand carved obsidian statue from my grandfather after their trip to Egypt, but the name of the city alluded me for so long and I had heard tales in history about how Luxor had been lost a long time ago. Accordingly, I could not for the life of me remember where my grandparents got the Obsidian statue from. Then I come to this reality and then it dawns on me. it’s Luxor where it came from! The ‘LOST’ city in my reality is what the Luxor pyramid in Las Vegas was based on.
- Lesotho in South Africa? It’s not in my reality. I remember Swaziland, which I thought was more in the central, but Lesotho, was most definitely not there. I had a friend who was a pilot who inspired me to learn more about him and his home country, South Africa, and Johannesburg – where he was from, learning about him was a lesson in geography that clearly demonstrated differences to me today.
- Sydney and Melbourne in my reality were on opposite sides of the continent of Australia, Darwin was on the west side, and Perth is where Darwin is (North side of Australia). I know this because I was considering a side trip to Perth – just to step on the continent – as a destination when I was working in Singapore. New Zealand was also positioned at the same position offset North rather than south of Australia, and seems to have drifted farther away from Australia.
- The North Pole is covered with visible ice where I come from, and Antarctica was much smaller.
- In India, New Delhi in my reality is where Chennai is, Chennai is where Bangalore is, and Bangalore is about 250km south of where new Delhi is now. Ahmedabad was a coastal city (I used to date Kena who was from this area).
- In Pakistan. Karachi is in the middle of the interior, a lesson in history I learned when reading about the separation of Muslims from India and Hindis from Pakistan and the long roads between the two.
- Kabul, in Afghanistan, in my reality is south about 100km and about 300km to the west, something I had researched when Tillman was killed, and again when I had a friend deployed there.
- Jordan in my reality is twice the size it is now, it looks like Saudi Arabia consumed some territory here in this reality.
- Also, Tunisia is much smaller as is Madagascar, both are about half the size they are in my reality.
- Venezuela and Colombia are in completely opposite position. I visited Columbia in 2010 where the peninsula connected to Venezuela in my reality, not Colombia (this was way trippy seeing it for the first time). Ecuador is larger in my origin reality – about 50% more land mass in my reality, Peru is MUCH smaller, and Chile’s looking like it’s gonna get squeezed out, it’s about 1/2 the size it was in my reality.
- Looking in the sky, where I come from, Venus and Mars were the dominant bright lights in the sky. Here, you don’t even see Venus and Jupiter is a dominant light? I couldn’t see Jupiter in my reality, it just wasn’t visible with the naked eye.
- The internet functions subtly different here. Before, I could post anything on Craigslist and never be censored, but here it’s regularly censored and never explained. Same thing for a great deal of other web sites I would visit before and participated in regularly – sites such as i09, Slashdot.org, arstechnica, and more.
- There’s also far less content on this version of the internet than I had in my reality. I mean, exponentially less content. Searches I would previously perform for technical content would bring up a much wider array of results, where here, it’s far less accurate and far more elusive to find good answers.
- Forums and Asking questions: One thing I have noticed participating in discussions on any forum here is the answers and participation are almost always combative, attacking, and unsupportive no matter the question asked and tone.
- I’d have written the previous ‘tonal issue’ off, but I notice the same tone in conversing with anyone on the internet too. This is why I write ‘ya all’ like I do. You all seem to act and respond with the same single minded attacking like reactionary response which is weird. I have gotten past thinking this is me, it’s like the internet as a whole has an angry ‘tone’ and the individual personalities are lost within a group/hive minded like response which is what filters the conversations I have over the internet. This makes it so people I once knew –come off as not even sounding remotely like the same person or personality. It’s funny, which makes it very easy to ‘write messages’ with candor to everyone as I am making the pretty good assumption there’s only one thing receiving this and it’s responding, poorly I might add, in different personalities.
- Now where I come from, it’s a well-known fact that there’s so much more technologically going on with the government and corporate world that is far more advanced than is publicly available. Here, in this world, there’s just the opposite. It’s assumed everything is known. It’s bizarre even, and funny, where everyone seems to think everything there it technology is publicly available and that’s it. It’s taken a lot to getting to understand, but not to agree with, that’s for sure.
- There’s FAR more internet based games and games distributed through the internet in this world than there is in mine. But that’s not to say the quantity is good. In fact. The quality sucks. Dismal in fact. Storylines and detail are largely worse here.
- Slider’s – the tv show – is substantially different than my world. It favors robots and virtual reality stories here, and NEVER told stories like this in my world. Personally, I like this reality’s version of Slider’s MUCH more.
I’m creating this list, and gonna call my Earth – the one I hail from –Earth Prime.
This Earth. I’m going to call Earth Zero. In many computer languages, indexing starts at zero rather than one. And since this society acts – to some degree – very very predictably in contrast to the world I come from, analogizing this world to a computer language based world by indexing it at zero simply makes sense.
I suppose the first thing I need to look into now is… when did Denmark originate as a nation and why? Some event must have happened differently on my planet than this one which caused this subtle yet interesting geographical deviation in history.